LunaGuard Nighttime Dental Guard
What is bruxism?
It is estimated that up to 31% of the U.S. population experiences bruxism, commonly known as teeth grinding and / or jaw clenching during sleep. The impact of bruxism can be significant. It can be frequent and severe enough to lead to headaches, damaged teeth, jaw pain, worn tooth enamel, or even chronic facial pain. However, with proper treatment and care, the potential negative impacts of bruxism can be reduced.
How can the LunaGuard help?
The LunaGuard Nighttime Dental Guard is indicated for use in protecting the teeth and reducing damage caused by bruxism or nighttime grinding.
- Protects against grinding and clenching — The LunaGuard provides exceptional protection due to its unique design and materials. It is made of a strong thermoplastic that prevents the user from biting through the guard.
- Ultra thin for superior comfort — The LunaGuard is only 1.6 mm thick. Its sleek, lightweight design allows for total comfort while sleeping, and it is so thin that it does not impede speaking, drinking or breathing.
- Perforated for maximum protection with Absorb-X™ Technology — The unique Absorb-X™ Technology uses unique material to diffuse and absorb grinding forces, protecting the teeth from the pressure of grinding or clenching associated with bruxism.
- Remouldable for a perfect fit — The LunaGuard is designed for a quick and easy custom fit for optimal performance. It is made from a unique thermoplastic that allows it to be remoulded (up to 20 times) if you do not get the exact fit you want during the first fitting.
Made in the USA. Quality guaranteed
The LunaGuard Nighttime Dental Guard is so strong and durable, we guarantee you won't chew through, wear out, tear, or destroy it through normal use.
|Package content||1 LunaGuard Nighttime Dental Guard, 1 storage case|
What you will need
- Ceramic or glass bowl
- Hot water (160°F)
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Heat enough water to submerge the dental guard to 160°F (71°C) (hot, but not boiling or scalding water) on the stove top or in a microwave oven. Immerse the dental guard until the material turns clear. Once it turns clear, it is soft and pliable and ready for fitting. Lift the guard with a fork.
- Hold the soft material as shown in the picture. Do not let it fold onto itself!
- With the aid of a mirror, position the material so the solid area in the middle of the guard (the area without the holes) is against the chewing surface of your upper teeth. Make sure enough of the material is on the outward-facing side of the teeth; the material should extend to, but not past, the gum line once fitted. Then, bite down gently and press your tongue against the material to hold it in place. Note: Do not stretch the material when it is soft.
- Gently mould dental guard against the outside surface of your teeth with your fingertips toward the gum line while securing the back of it with your tongue.
- Close your lips over the dental guard and very gently create suction to ensure a snug fit. Then, wait 5 minutes for the material to fully harden before removing the dental guard. NOTE: Do not suck too hard; too much suction can create an overtight fit and difficulty in removing.
- To remove the dental guard, grasp the top front edge with fingertips of both hands and pull down gently to release.
You will know if the dental guard is fitted properly if it covers the outward-facing side of your teeth and is snug enough that a gentle pull is required to remove it. If you are not satisfied with the initial fitting (too tight, lopsided, too loose, shrinkage), simply slip the bite guard back into the hot water and repeat the fitting process.
Check your LunaGuard for wear each time you clean it for possible need for replacement. Replace your LunaGuard after 6 months of use.
- Do not create excessive suction; only very gentle suction is needed to properly mould and fit the LunaGuard.
- Do not bite down too hard or create deep bite marks in the dental guard.
- Do not use boiling water to mould the dental guard. Water should be 160°F.
- Do not stretch the material when it is soft. This can cause excessive shrinking during the moulding process and decrease the strength of the dental guard.
- Make sure your teeth are lined up with the centre of the dental guard.
- After a night of use, if you feel your LunaGuard is too tight, it can be loosened slightly by resubmerging it in 160°F (71°C) water for no longer than 2 seconds, and repeating step 6 above.
- If you wear braces, you must have the bite guard fitted by your orthodontist or dentist. Do not try to fit it on your own.
- Do not use an improperly fitted bite guard. Improper use may cause health risks or decrease the effectiveness of the protective properties of the dental guard.
- To avoid situations where inhalation or swallowing of the dental guard can occur, make sure the dental guard has a snug, secure fit.
- Do not use if you have artificial dentures, loose teeth, loose fillings, loose caps, cavities without fillings, sores in your mouth or bleeding gums.
- Do not expose the dental guard to temperatures exceeding 160°F (71°C) or to open flames. Keep protected from hot environments, such as a hot dashboard in a car.
- Be careful if you use nail polish or artificial nails, as the dental guard material can stick to these surfaces while fitting.
- Do not expose to teeth bleaching agents. Do not let dental guard come in contact with mouthwash containing alcohol or tooth whitening agents.
- If you experience pain or discomfort, consult your dentist before continuing use. Do not use the LunaGuard® as an athletic mouth guard.
Cleaning and storage
Gently clean the LunaGuard with a mild soap and lukewarm water, or with a toothbrush and non-whitening toothpaste. Thoroughly rinse and dry before storing in the convenient storage case. Store your dental guard at room temperature under dry conditions.